Monday 31 August 2009

Pride

I had a brilliant day yesterday at Pride, never worked so hard in my life. I'm not one for managing to be sociable for too long but I was a good girl and behaved very well! Joking aside it really was a great day - 8 hours of chatting all day long promoting the animals and our work and animal welfare. I was knackered, still am.

Inevitably there were a few folks who wanted to sound off to me about the RSPCA, in particular one lady who was outraged that she no longer qualified to use the animal hospital because the qualifying rules changed in January and because she was a student she didn't qualify. I explained that the place runs at a loss of around £1 million a year and changes had to be made to address this but her response was, "Well, if I had a million I'd give it to you." Mmm, slightly missing the point! She accepted the explanation in the end though.

In terms of animal welfare - a lot of folks picked up our leaflets about the dangers of elasticated cat collars and others talked to me about improving their small animal welfare practices - with some folks going away pledging to revise and revamp rabbit accommodation! I was very pleased.

We also had a lot of interest in the animals, but probably only 1 or 2 really serious enquiries about the dogs. Whether anything comes from it time will tell, and of course I will let you know.

But, I would like to say a huge thank you to all the folks that came over and befriended me for the day - I met some really lovely people who were big animal lovers. In fact, most people who came over to look at the animal pictures had loads themselves and were more than doing their bit for rescue animals. In total we received £40 in donations and I had a great day out. So, thank you to everyone, but especially Mandy who invited us and my friends Helena and Mianna who didn't know I was there but spotted me and kept me company. Until next year!